email: swordsheritage@gmail.com 

Summer scene at Barry's Park, Swords c1940.
Missie Marks, Bernie and her dog.
Mrs Maureen Lawless, Rathbeale, Swords. 1955
St. Patrick's Day, filming at St. Columba's c1950s.

Patrick Cleary, cured of rabies by Louis Pasteur 1894.

St. Patrick's Day, filming at St. Columba's c1950s.
Main Street Swords
Bernadette Galvin, Bernadette Marks, Newbridge House
 SWORDS HISTORICAL SOCIETY members were saddened at the death of Mrs. Margaret Thorpe who was active in the society since it began in 1982.  She died on August 25th aged 93 years.  A stalwart of our group, always ready to help where needed; she is sadly missed by the community of Swords.
Frank McCormick and Margaret Thorpe
Tidy towns Comittee 
Margaret Thorpe at the Swords heritage festival
Paddy Gerard 

 Photo taken on North Street 1934 - anyone know who the boys are; it is across from Seatown Road, so they are going or coming from school?  email: swordsheritage@gmail.com 

 Working in St. Colmcille's Graveyard 1980s; Paddy Gerrard and Late Harry Hanratty

The birth place of St Colmcille, Gartan, Co Donegal. 

 Swords people who worked in Lamb's Fruit Farm, Donabate 1950s. 

 Farming in The Ward 1920s.

F C A Swords  1957 

Carnival Committee at Fingallians Club in 1937.

Thomas Ashe Memorial, Lusk

  Central Bar, 1940s (now the Empire)

 Christopher Nugent (Centre) who fought at Battle of Ashbourne 1915:

Swords fife and drum band 1900

 Swords traders day out 1950s: taken outside Savages

The Gut Swords 1986 

 Sowing Patatoes 1950s at Eamon Lawless's Farm, Rathbeale.

 Photo in Chapel Lane; Taylor's Grocery Shop across

 the street.c1950s.

Hunt Bridge St Swords, 1950s 

  'The Hunt' on Bridge Street, Swords 1950s.

Opening Sluagh Hall Swords. 1938

Garda Station in Swords 1924 


James Marks with his Daughter Bernadette 
The Daly Family Mountgorry Swords  1940s
Colmcilles Boys School c 1930
Workers at Feltrim Quarry 1940s.

 Swords Dispensary, Main St, built in 1898; now offices.


Bridge St Swords  1952
Swords Mummers at Swords Heritage Festival

Constabulary Barracks , Church Road (New Road)  Swords

Ryans Pump Corner Seatown Road 1930s
Ploughing near Swords 1954
Main Street Swords  1900

Monument To Sean (Rover) McCann Rush Killed by the Black & Tans  in Rush 1920 

 Ploughing Match Swords 1915

 Fingallians Parade Swords.

Hunger Strike protesters Swords 1981
Fingallians Stand, Swords Festival. 1991
Feltrim Hill

  St Cronan's Well, Swords 2015.

Church of Ireland Swords

Roman Catholic Church Swords 


Balrothery Union in Ruins
Balrothery Union closed 1930s.
Postcard Main Street Swords
Main Street Swords

Taylor Family, Swords  at Donabate beach  1900c  

Swords House demolished 1980s - now Fingal County Hall.
Mr Eamon De Valera TD on way to unveiling of memorial
to Dick McKee at Finglas 1951. 
Site of the Battle of Ashbourne 1916
Copyright Swords Historical Society, (C) 2015
Ryan Family from Forge Seatown Lane Corner.
Off to school in Pony & Trap,
Ryan Family from Forge Seatown Lane Corner.
This old building on North Street was once an Orphanage for Boys called Smyley's Home or The Birds' Nest. Several boys are listed in the 1911 census as staying there. They attended the Old Borough School on Main Street. They are stated as having been born in Dublin. The list could be a help in finding a long lost grandfather or great uncle!!! The house was divided in two when the orphanage closed. The last owners of the house were the Heenan family; Mr Heenan ran the Post Office from there c1940s. The other house was owned by Mr and Mrs Keane who were Principals in the Boys' and Girls; Schools in Swords.

This Video is dedicated to the Men and Women of Fingal who Fought and gave their lives for Irelands Freedom 

M. Duff & M. Adrian Cumann na mBan, Fingal

(C) J O Dwyer

Peter Wilson 

Richard Coleman  Died in Usk Prison on the 8th December 1918

 Comrades from 1916 Rising; Peter Wilson (Balheary),  and James Marks taken at Tara 1938 with Mrs Mary Wilson and daughter Kathleen. 

 Early photo of Ashbourne Memorial.

James Crinigan who fought at battle of Ashbourne.

Tom Seaver, Fingal Brigade, from Lusk who fought at the Battle of Ashbourne, 1916.

 Julia Weston and her sister Thomasina Lynders were

staunch members of Cumann na mBan Fingal Brigade 1916-22. 

 Photo taken many years ago in the back garden of 

a house on Swords Main Street; the old lady in the
centre is Mary Duff. She was an ardent Cumann na mBan
member with a Fenian background.  The Duff's house was  burned by the Black & Tans.

 Swords Main Street c 1940.

View of Swords Castle from Bridge St  1952  

 Swords Girls' School, Percussion Band 1950s.

Taken in Sluagh Hall.

 Swords Girls' School 1947.

   Arthur Agnew at the 50th Anniversary of the 1916 Rising

The Late Mary Graham
Pics from launch of Swords Community Centre 1980s (now Fingal Community College).
Top: The late Joe Savage having a word in the ear of President Paddy Hillary and;  Emmet 
Wilson of Swords Community Council.

 President Paddy Hillary 

 Opening of Swords Community Centre 1980s.

(Now Fingal Community College).

 Swords Girls School  1949 c.

The same Girls from the above class, To Day

 St Colmcille School First Communion 1950s

St Colmcille School  1918

Confirmation at  St. Colmcille's Church 1935. 

The Two Bernies 



 Taylors 'The Star' 1930s.   Fagan's Harnessmakers

beside. was demolished to widen the Chapel Lane.
Barnwell's House, The Leys, 1920s

 Publicans from Fingal visiting the Guinness wery.

c 1960s.


Pre-Motor Age, Price's Bicycle Shop Swords 1912.
Later Price's Garage, now Town Centre Mall.


Horticultural Society at Old Borough School 1943.
Included is Fr. Lillis, who later gave his name to  Canon Lillis Avenue .

 Paddy Cleary, Mountgorry Swords, Ploughing 1940

Drynam Bridge, 1948


'The Emergency'   Swords Red Cross outside
Courthouse, North St., 1940s.
Members of Fingal Brigade IRA at unveiling of memorial at Ashbourne, 1959.
Ballyboughal 1798 celebration Easter 1998
(Fingal Old IRA Commemoration Society members)
Swords Girls from the Red Cross 1940

 Owen Sheridan and friends

Malahide road, Swords .1960'S, 

Court house, Swords

 Was on a pump in Long's yard - Milton House - now Pavilions.